Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And We’re Back: Applying for the K-1 Fiance Visa


It’s been a while since I've posted!

When I started this wedding blog, I was wishing with all my heart that Adam and I would be married on August 15, 2011.  Two years after he proposed.  (Which was a compromise, since I really wanted to be married on August 15, 2010 but Adam didn’t feel ready to start applying for a visa right away). 

Well, it's September 2011, and we're not married.  Yet.  Here’s what’s happened:

When I was getting ready to head back home to America back in August 2010, Adam promised we could start the visa application process.  I told him that for the first few weeks I would be too busy; it’s the start of a new school year.

So after getting together...
  • From 1-129F, Petition for Alien (eek?) fiancé
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information
  • My birth certificate
  • A passport style photo
  • Writing a Letter of Intent to Marry within 90 days of my fiancé entering the US
  • Photos of us looking couple-y
  • Plane ticket stubs
  • Engagement and wedding ring receipts
  • Excerpted copies of letters (this and the above 3 are used for “proof of an ongoing relationship”)
  • And $455
And Adam sent me:
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information
  • A copy of his wage slip
  • A passport style photo
  • Writing a Letter of Intent to Marry
...on October 30, I was ready to send out a packet to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

On November 1, I received a receipt called the I-797C, Notice of Action.

On December 18, Adam’s flight to visit me for Christmas vacation was cancelled due to weather.

Not that that has anything to do with applying for his visa or planning our wedding.  It just sucked that I wanted to be married by now and I couldn’t even seem him at Christmas.

Adam got a last minute flight so even though we didn’t get our full two weeks together we at least got Christmas Eve, Christmas, and his birthday, all in just the one week.  Which we totally made the most of and had an amazing time. 

In April, it had been 6 months since we received the Notice of Action.  It’s really not supposed to take longer than that.  Adam was going to visit for my April vacation for the first time, so I decided not only was it time to call up and ask about it, but it would be nice to surprise him with a little good news when he arrived. 

I was told that there was such a backlog, it would be another 3 months before they even looked at it.

I was a little bit devastated.  No summer wedding for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know what you think of my finds, or if you have any additional wedding tips for me!

Readers, what is your relationship status?