Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Choosing Colors for a Wedding

.
One of the first things I thought about after Adam proposed was a wedding color scheme.  I love looking at color schemes.  If things went just a little bit differently in my life, I think I’d have pursued a career in interior design instead of teaching.  So I was excited to start choosing colors for a wedding.

My first love when it comes to color schemes is actually fall colors.  I love the warm colors:  red, burnt orange, all shades of brown from beige to chocolate to clay.  I love gold and warm greens like sage.  All those colors are in my home, and they make me feel comfortable.


I just had 3 small problems: 

1. I want a wedding during summer vacation.
2. Adam loves purple.
3. I don’t like fall colors next to white.

Hmm.

First I tried to think of how I could incorporate red, brown, and orange into my theme and end up with it still looking like August wedding colors.

But it seemed purple would look out of place in that color palette.  I decided that if I was going to use Adam’s favorite color (and I wanted to do that for him) then I should pick ONE color I wanted with it, and the third (or more) color would influence the seasonal feeling of the color palette.  I'd just have to make sure that third color didn't clash with the other two and was popular for August wedding colors.  So I looked around online at the best wedding colors for some inspiration.



 
I decided that above all, I wanted orange, since it's more cheerful and less cliche than pink. Plus there were plenty of orange flowers in the photos of August wedding colors I found.  Now, at first I felt scared, because orange and purple sound like clown colors.  But I thought since both colors have some red in them, my third color could tone down the contrast if it was a variation of red.  Since deep rose red (as much as I like that color) was more for winter winter weddings than for August wedding colors, I decided on a deep coral instead.  The three colors together are very vibrant, but don’t overpower each other so they’ll be elegant.  The orange will make it feel warm, but the vibrant colors are more summery, not too fall like.  And I could use gold or champagne with chocolate brown as a neutral. 

 
Yes, I think with the right flowers, these would make nice wedding colors for summer.  

 

 
________________________________________________
Photos courtesof: 
Elev8studio                      
Ellev8studeio           linh.ngan
Berriehol                          Arpana Sanjay           Russelljsmith
Egor.gribanov                    Egor.gribanov           Stereogab
Joanna8555                       Berriehol                 Paul L. Nettles
Ewen and donabel              Berriehol                 Tracy Hunter     
Caitlinscottphototgraphy     Bah humbug            Tracy Hunter    
Sweet Clementine              Emilie raguso           Stereogab       
Dashes Clay                     AMP PHOTO         AMP PHOTO
Elev8studio                      George Jonathan       Emilie raguso
AMP PHOTO                  AMP PHOTO          Emilie raguso 

3 comments:

  1. Go with the first orange. The second one is way too bright. It looks like a crayon. You don't have to go OTT bright just because it's a summer wedding if you like fall colors just go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, I do like the more muted orange better. I guess it depends on what the flowers look like together in the bridal bouquet when I start meeting with florists. I'm going to try to stay open minded until then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the colors on your inspiration boards are beautiful! Those deep coral roses are very romantic :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know what you think of my finds, or if you have any additional wedding tips for me!

Readers, what is your relationship status?